It’s National Fishing and Boating Week.
The CCSO Marine Unit wants boaters to have a great time on our waterways while staying safe.
CCSO reminds boaters to always put safety first and offers these tips:
* Take a boating safety course. Courses are offered through the U.S. Power Squadron and the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.
* Wear a life jacket.
* Have all your safety gear onboard and serviceable.
* Don’t operate a vessel under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
* For extended or out-of-the ordinary excursions, file a float plan with a loved one or close friend.
* Take a fully charged cell phone.
Did you know that boating accidents are most often caused by operator-controllable factors such as carelessness, inattention, and navigation-rule violations, poor choices during bad weather, inexperience, and alcohol consumption?
For more safety tips visit https://www.colliersheriff.org/how-do-i/boating-safety